Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sweet and Simple Valentine Topiary


In between {sort of} taking down my Christmas decorations, I have worked on a few fun Valentine's Day projects.  I know I should probably finish one thing before I start another, but that's just how I roll. ;)  This one is way simple.

Have you ever noticed that some Christmas decor can be easily transformed into Valentine decor? Well this is a favorite trick of mine! Clearance Christmas=Inexpensive Valentine's Day decorating! I will be sharing some great ideas on how to do this, so stay tuned. Here is the first!



See, this topiary ball is actually a Christmas kissing ball.  The colors are perfect for Vday!  I also have here a cute little stone urn from the thrift store ($2),  some (Christmas) berries, greenery and moss.  Please pardon my messy craft area.  I actually "cleaned" her up a bit for the pictures!   That's sad, but what can I say?  Creativity is messy!



I then stuck a discarded stem from another project into the foam ball.  I trimmed it to the length that would work to keep the ball where I wanted it.  Flush with the urn.  You could use a wooden dowel or anything sturdy enough to handle the weight.  I added a bit of hot glue to make sure it was in there securely.  I heart hot glue.



I wedged a piece of florist's foam in the urn for a snug fit.  I secured the edges with hot glue and then stuck moss around to cover and add more pressure to keep the foam in.  Next, I added some glue on top and then stuck in my topiary ball.



I filled in the edges with more moss to cover the foam and because I love me some moss.  It's already so cute, don't you think?  So, I know I have greenery and berries waiting there patiently, but for this one I decided to leave them out.  If you wanted you could stick the greens around the base of the ball mixed in with the berries.  I've done this a lot and it turns out really nice, I just liked the simplicity of this alone.



I filled in some of the spaces in between the fruit with some more moss just to tie it all in. And I know I said I liked it as it was, but to make it a little more "love"-ly I added this bright ribbon and cute little sign.  What do you think?


Take this and play on it with your own ideas and touches!  There could be so many fun and different variations of this.  I hope this gets your creative juices flowing.  XOXO


I'm linking up with...


Visit thecsiproject.com




DIY Day @ ASPTL


9 comments:

  1. So pretty! Putting up my Valentine's decoration just makes me feel happy. Looks great!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! I am getting ready to put my Valentine goodies out soon...can't wait!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideal, looks tooo cute. Thanks for sharing. Stop by for a visit sometime. You have a great blog.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Valentine topiary!!! I have the same urn. In fact, I have 2 of them. I love the "love" sign. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty! I love the colors. I've posted a link at childmade.com. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how beautiful it is. I keep looking at it over and over. I want it for my house! I WISH I could find clearance decorations like that! Thanks for linking up at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. I hope you come visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the prettiest valentine project I have seen up until now! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)