Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unique No Sew Chair Cover


I have been working on some items for my Esty store and some other fun spring projects that I will be sharing with your soon.  Including my $5 challenge for Living With Lindsay, which turned out way cute.  I'm excited! 

But, today I am going to share with you a super easy no sew chair cover that I did a couple years ago.  Alright, I have this thing with old chairs.  I love them.  Not sure why,  but they always call to me.  Anytime I see one in a family members garage, I always offer to take it off their hands.  $2 garage sale chair?... It's mine! Then, Mr. Husband asks "why do you love junk?".


This particular fella I believe I stole out of my Mom's garage.  She is so good to me! ;)  It was not necessarily cute nor did it have any extremely interesting detail.  I just liked it.  Oh, it even had a grodey (does anyone say that besides my mom? it means gross. lol) vinyl-ish pleather seat.  Mr. Husband LOVED this one!! ha


It sat around for a bit, until one day I saw a cute little seat redo in a BHG mag. and I thought, 'I can do that...sort of.' ;)


All I did was measure my clearance (love) fabric to the length that I wanted it to hang over the sides and the front.  Pretty much a rectangle.  Then I got out my handy liquid stitch and "hemmed" the edges all around.


Next I laid it evenly and centered across the chair and stapled it to the wood seat frame along the back of the seat.  This fabric is pretty good at hiding the staples because it is sort of quilted, but you could hide the staples underneath.


I then pulled the fabric down around the front legs in a nice pleat and poked two smallish holes through to make way for  my cute coordinating ribbon.  I took my ribbon and wrapped in around each leg then weaved through the holes and tied it in a pretty little bow.  I secured the ribbon on the back of the leg with a staple.



Now for those of you who are concerned about my reckless holes I poked in the fabric, the original instructions said to use grommets. I was just a little too impatient to wait and get them so I did what I had to do. ;)  It works wonderfully!  


I usually like to paint anything I can, but for some reason I liked this as is.  Not to say that there won't be a day it becomes victim to a brush or spray paint can.  But for now it stands.  Sorry the pics are dark and that I don't have step by step pictures, but I hope you get the general idea.


This was really soooo very easy and rewarding.  It has a very sweet unique look and always gets a compliment.  Now if I can just fix that one part so people can sit in it.  Haha j/k...kinda. ;)



Sharing over at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday!  


And...


giveaways

2 comments:

  1. very cute, you totally gave me an idea for an old chair that i have(i luv old chairs too!) - thanks!
    And, i loved your mirror re-do, it turned out very cute :)

    Sausha @ {show & tell}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, very cute!! I've been looking around your blog. I love how you decorate!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)