Thursday, November 18, 2010

Easy Winter Centerpiece Update

IMG_0099

I’ve been doing a little preparation for my Christmas decor and one thing I love to do is reuse or repurpose decorations that I have either bought on super clearance or ones that I have simply fallen 0ut of love with. 

IMG_0076

So enter this little tree trio I bought on super clearance for like 5 bucks.  I like the shape, it was sturdy and I liked the look of the realistic look of the pines.

IMG_0080 IMG_0082

So, I used my paint sample to to cover most of the base.  I wasn’t feeling the green and black spongy look.  I wanted it to have a sort of rough aged appearance so I just slopped it on, dry brushing even some areas.

Next I taped of my new color and spray painted the legs with my Oil Rubbed Bronze.  It was not optimal spray painting weather, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.  Right?

IMG_0100

 For another element and texture, I glued just twine around the top and added in pinecones I collected out of my Mom’s yard.  And street. My kids think I am nuts because I had gathered some in the yard, but as we left I saw a bunch in the road and of course I pulled over and rescued them.  It was very windy. And raining.  The kids were screaming, “Mom, get out of the street!” It was very dramatic! ;) The danger I put myself in sometimes for free beautiful decor. Sigh.

IMG_0098

And there you have it! 

IMG_0104

Oh and I want to take a minute to share the importance of fluffing your faux pine.  Whether it is your wreaths, trees…whatever, it is important to pull out and arrange the stems of the pine.  Makes a HUGE difference. 

IMG_0076 IMG_0101

Now, let’s see a side by side just to show what a big difference you can make with a small amount of time and little or no $.  Pretty cool, huh?

So get out your decor and see what needs a little sprucing up.  You might be surprised what you can do with a few little changes.

Linking up…

Visit thecsiproject.com

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend      wrap    up           party!FrugaliciouFridaybutton-1 UndertheTableandDreaming

9 comments:

  1. Your after looks great. I'm with you on sprucing up what I have already either with spraypaint, glitter, fluffing or whatever. Love your litle trees and I totally understand the pinecone pickup. Nobody understands us, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your redo of this turned out beautifully! I love what you did to the container and adding the twine and pine cones made it perfect! You're so creative! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a container very similar to this, so I may have to copy your arrangement. You are right, fluffing is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous transformation!!! your poor tramatized children watching their mother rescue pinecones in the pouring rain ;) hehe.. my child care kids no longer question when we curb shop LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty! Love the transformation! Happy Holidays to you! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty...I just went to my DIL and picked up a whole bunch of pinecones...I have to star this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I have a metal container similar in size but more rounded/oval that came with a gift basket last year. I've been thinking of doing something like this with it. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color that you chose to paint it and the added twine looks so nice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I'm gathering pine cones as we speak...well, I will in a few minutes, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)